Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Media Fast: No T.V., Movies, or Internet

I'm doing a "full" media fast. That looks like no television, no movies, and no… Internet.
What fuels me to do this is not to bring condemnation on anyone or necessarily make a statement. (I LOVE media) I do however, have this real desire for the Presence of God abiding in my life. I know too much. I've experienced too much of Him to not pursue Him in such a way; yet, I continually compromise my fellowship with the Holy Spirit through escapism and false fountains. Media doesn't HAVE to be those things, but for me, it has. I have felt over the years a drawing by God to live this way, set apart for Him. A one year consecration is a start. I hope that my capacity for Him, my love for Him, my dependence on His Presence would so be expanded that I would continue in my consecration for the rest of my life.
A consecration is not a means of intrinsic holiness, but it may lead to holiness. Holiness is a true heart position before God that is set apart (Holy) unto Him. I want my heart to catch up with my actions, lest I just have an outward form of godliness as the Pharisees of Jesus' day. I'm not so much "fleeing" as I am "pursuing." (2 Tim 2:22 )
What about "Grace?"
I believe God will give me grace to take up this minor cross as the Holy Spirit gave Jesus grace to take up His.
What about "Relevance?"
Being well informed of the culture around me doesn't equate effective ministry. Jesus released the Holy Spirit for effective ministry, He's the one I'm after.
What will this look like?
Television?; Not that big a deal for me, I already don't watch it. My main T.V. pattern is occasional episodes of "The Office" and yearly Super Bowls.
Movies: A little more close to home. I watch 2 or more movies a month. I hope to spend more time learning to "escape" into the Holy Spirit. (Gal 6:8) Better yet, abide with Him.
Internet: This is where I felt the ouch. My intention is not to open up a browser window for anything except "business." A good portion of our ministry is through the Internet. So, I'll be updating podcasts, blogs, websites and communicating with ministry hosts. I'll be using email mostly. But this does mean no personal social networking sites, and daily news surfing. So I might just end up happier than everyone else, not reading the news!
Again, I'm not so much "fleeing" as I am "pursuing." If you have any questions, or would like to join me (gulp), let me know. I will be checking email. (and ministry blog posts) Consider some form of consecration. It is truly time to seek the Lord, "while He may be found." - Richy Clark

7 comments:

Jess said...

It's a worthy goal, go for it!!

Anonymous said...

sooo.. can I borow your IPHONE? - arb

Anonymous said...

Overdue for a blog post. Sheesh... Coming soon folks! - Richy

Viking Granny!!!! said...

yayayaya

HEY I am so happy to see some color on this blog....

Blue looks nice....

color color color

Radiant Worship // Richy Clark said...

UPDATE: I've very much seen how distracted I've been by checking various social network sites / watching movies / diving into studying on the internet... etc... in times past. It's been an awesome few months. I have learned a lot about how I spend my time and mental energy...etc..

I will continue to not watch movies the rest of the year, but HAVE decided to open up documentaries on the weekends. I felt I must say this publicly somewhat, for those who may be concerned if they every hear of a documentary I've watched etc.. ha.

That being said, I still fully intend to continue my fast of television / movies and web-surfing. So a nice disclosure statement hidden here in the comment archives... Blessings - Richy

Anonymous said...

Wow. God is so good!! I see Him working in you and it makes me crave Him even more. I have felt Him call me to a few differnt fasts of my own, nothing traditional either, but it is amazing what He does. I want more than anything to worship Him freely, in Spirit and in Truth. Fasting has been a good way to help me keep my focus right where it should be, on my Lord. I think this is great for you. I pray that the Lord will reveal Himself to you even more throughout this fast. -v
p.s. I truly enjoy your recorded moments of truly radiant worship. I can feel your love for God through your songs. Thank you for being a willing vessel.

Radiant Worship // Richy Clark said...

UPDATE: Welp, still going for it. I've had to re-commit myself to this goal a few times this year already! Pressing on! It's amazing how much our society depends on the internet! I'm going back to strictly business updates, and twitter updates for ministry via the mobile phone! (Which also updates the facebook)